Beginner Old English
Registration for Beginner Old English is open. Registration will close December 16th.
Beginner Old English I (E101): Spring Term
If you want to read the literature of the Anglo-Saxons in its original language, this is the course for you. Begin your Old English studies with this groundbreaking new course. You will learn Old English vocabulary and grammar by reading a newly written graded reader designed to delight with its charming narrative, to educate about medieval England, but most of all, to instruct students in the fundamentals of the Old English language. In our live sessions students will put what they have learned into practice and use Old English actively in conversational activities that will allow them to internalize the language’s vocabulary and grammar.
- Cost: $850
- Beginner Old English Details:
- Class sessions last 1.5 hours
- 1 class session per week
- Course lasts 14 weeks
- Term runs January 7th – April 13th
- ALI classes are completely risk-free: Get a 100% refund anytime before your second class session
- Refunds in weeks 2 – 4 done on a pro rata basis
- No refunds after week 4
Dr. Colin Gorrie, Old English & Latin Fellow of the Ancient Language Institute
These days, when Old English is taught at all, it’s typically taught by handing students a grammar book and a collection of texts and translating them by brute force. We know from our experience with Latin, Ancient Greek, and Biblical Hebrew that there is a better way to learn historical languages: through conversation and by reading level-appropriate texts. With ALI’s approach, you’ll be amazed at how quickly you’ll start to be able to understand Old English on its own terms. Beowulf awaits!
What You Need to Know
- Classes run on a semester basis.
- Fall: September – December
- Spring: January – April
- Summer: May – August
- Class times are selected by students. Once your registration is confirmed, we’ll send you a Google Form to choose your class time.
- Classes are live, online classes run by ALI’s Old English Fellow. Learn Old English from anywhere.
- We want to make sure you’re completely satisfied. If you don’t love your first Anglo-Saxon class, we guarantee a 100% refund. After that, in weeks 2 – 4, refunds will be made on a pro rata basis, based on however many class sessions you’ve attended. We cannot issue refunds after the fourth week of classes