Beginner Old English II
Beginner Old English II will not be running during the Spring 2024 term. It will be running during the Summer 2024 term.
Beginner Old English II (E102): Spring Term
If you want to read the literature of the Anglo-Saxons in its original language, this is the course for you. Continue your Old English studies in this groundbreaking new course. You will continue to learn Old English vocabulary and grammar by reading a newly written graded reader designed to delight with its charming narrative, to educate about medieval England, but most of all, to instruct students in the fundamentals of the Old English language. You will also take your first dip into primary sources written in Old English. In our live sessions you will continue to put what they have learned into practice and use Old English actively in conversational activities that will allow them to internalize the language’s vocabulary and grammar.
- Cost: $850
- Beginner Old English II Details:
- Class sessions last 1.5 hours
- 1 class session per week
- Course lasts 14 weeks
- Fall term runs September 3rd – December 16th
- ALI classes are completely risk-free: Get a 100% refund anytime before your second class session
- Refunds in weeks 2 – 4 done on a pro rata basis
- No refunds after week 4
What You Need to Know
- Classes run on a semester basis.
- Fall: September – December
- Spring: January – April
- Summer: May – August
- Old English 102 will be split into two different sections.
- E102 Section A will meet on Thursdays, 7am – 8:3oam PDT (San Francisco)
- E102 Section B will meet on Saturdays, 10am – 11:30am PDT (San Francisco)
- Classes are live, online classes run by ALI’s Old English Fellow. Learn Old English from anywhere.
- You can skip the semester system. With one-on-one Tutorials, you can set up your own class schedule with an ALI Fellow.
- We want to make sure you’re completely satisfied. If you don’t love your first Anglo-Saxon class, we guarantee a 100% refund. After that, in weeks 2 – 4, refunds will be made on a pro rata basis, based on however many class sessions you’ve attended. We cannot issue refunds after the fourth week of classes.
Dr. Colin Gorrie, Old English & Latin Fellow of the Ancient Language Institute
These days, when Old English is taught at all, it’s typically taught by handing students a grammar book and a collection of texts and translating them by brute force. We know from our experience with Latin, Ancient Greek, and Biblical Hebrew that there is a better way to learn historical languages: through conversation and by reading level-appropriate texts. With ALI’s approach, you’ll be amazed at how quickly you’ll start to be able to understand Old English on its own terms. Beowulf awaits!